With almost a month until the race I am now running every other day with my boyfriend. However, he is in a lot better shape than me and can run a lot faster and a lot longer. So not to compromise his work out We run one mile together then I run back and he keeps going a few extra. On the first mile I am so impressed with my running no quitting, complaining, and I keep a decent pace. Buttt on my run back I am running by myself and I am positive my pace is wayyyy slower than the first mile.
The difference in pace in my two miles can be explained by the evaluation apprehension theory (Geen, 1991; Henchy & Glass, 1968). The evaluation apprehension theory explains that performance of a task will either be improved or impaired when the task is performed around people who are able to critique or evaluate the performance (Geen, 1991; Henchy & Glass, 1968) Which means when my boyfriend is running with me I run faster because he is fit, in shape, and a good runner. I run faster because I don't want him to think I am lazy and slow. My performance improves because thank god it is my dominant response still lingering some how from cross country. However, if I had never run before running with him would probably result in me running slower, complaining, and quitting pretty quick. Hopefully the evaluation apprehension theory will also have an effect during the relay.
Geen, R. G. (1991). Social motivation. Annual Review of Psychology, 42, 377-399.
Henchy, T., & Glass, D. C. (1968) Evaluation apprehension and the social facilitation of dominant and subordinate responses. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 10, 446-454.
No comments:
Post a Comment